You can’t help but have noticed that gin is having a moment, and London is the centre of today’s ‘ginaissance’.
From locally made tipples to distillery tours and even a hotel – yes, a hotel! – you can indulge in all things gin in the capital. Discover the best places to get your gin on in London.
Gin tours in London
Beefeater has been brewing London Dry Gin since 1829, and is one of the most recognisable gins worldwide. Take a tour of their distillery to learn about the history of ‘Mothers’ Ruin’ and Beefeater gin itself. All finished off with, obviously, a crisp G&T.
Arriving in 2009, Sipsmith were the first distillers granted a licence in London for 180 years! Enjoy a tour of the stills, stories about gin’s place in London history and a tasting session. Upgrade to a three-course meal at a nearby gin palace, complete with matching gins.
Shake, Rattle and Stir offers a Gin Journey around the city. A chauffeur-driven tour takes in five different gin parlours where you sample specially selected gins and gin cocktails. Discover the rich history behind the famous spirit and the best ways to drink it.
The best gin bars in London
London has a long and infamous relationship with gin, which means the capital is bursting with gin parlours, pubs and gin palaces. Some of our favourites include:
- Mr Fogg’s Tavern – the gin parlour on the first floor of this Covent Garden pub offers a guided ‘gin safari’ or you can work your own way through 300 speciality gins.
- Bermondsey Distillery – the home of Jensen’s Gin opens it’s doors at the weekends, offering gin lovers a tasting experience or a G&T from the on-site bar.
- Worship Street Whistling Stop – a Victorian-inspired pub in Shoreditch serving up gin cocktails and authentic flavours; several gins come from the Netherlands, the birthplace of gin or jenever.
- 214 Bermondsey – enjoy over 80 gins in this basement bar, all with their own tonic water BTW (Bermondsey Tonic Water) which allows the botanicals to shine through.
- City of London Distillery – an artisan distillers and bar in the heart of the city offering it’s own and international gins, or you can even create your own.
Quirky gin ideas in London
Tuck into a ‘G & High T’ at Hush, with gin and jam cocktails, plus the usual tasty treats. Duke’s Hotel also offers a gin and tonic afternoon tea; pop into their cocktail bar afterwards for a martini. This is where Ian Fleming came up with James Bond’s ‘shaken not stirred’ line.
Immerse yourself in the gin experience when you stay at the UK’s first gin hotel! Portobello Road Gin announced they’re soon opening a four-storey distillery including a bar, gin museum, restaurant and rooms. Until then, enjoy a glass of the renowned London gin or book yourself onto a masterclass at The Ginstitute.
Can’t wait until you get to the capital? Find one of the Gin Festival events near you. Sample over 100 gins, listen to talks from gin experts and take home your own copa glass.
Start your gin discovery today, and book a trip to London on our sleeper service with MegabusGold. With comfy bunks and free WiFi, you’ll arrive refreshed and ready to experience all things gin.
Book your trip to London >